Guided Walk of NYC’s High Line Park–Discover Its Secrets
Tour Highlights Include:
- 2.5 to 2.75-hour guided walking tour of the entire 1.45 mi. (2.33 km) High Line Park
- Insider “Secrets” of the High Line & surrounding neighborhoods.
- Visit Chelsea Market, former home of Nabisco; largest bakery in the world & birthplace of the Oreo Cookie.
- Learn the captivating history of a once seedy area turned chic and trendy.
- Tour spans the West Village, West Chelsea & Hell’s Kitchen (Clinton) neighborhoods.
- Great photo opportunities everywhere!!!
- Relaxed, fun tour with an informative, entertaining, licensed, local NY tour guide.
- Visit Hudson Yards; a 16-skyscraper city-within-a-City filled with eateries and retail shops
- See the ever-popular Vessel sculpture; a massive, stunning, beehive-like piece of interactive artwork
- When available, includes visit to *Little Island Park; NYC’s coolest new public park jutting out into and above the Hudson River! (*NOTE: park access is not guaranteed during inclement weather).
During this tour, you’ll learn the many secrets of the High Line and the surrounding Meatpacking District, in Chelsea. The High Line is a repurposed, elevated train trestle originally built for the former New York Central Railroad, a once important freight line along Manhattan’s previously industrial West Side. Eventually abandoned and slated for demolition, it would be spared and transformed into the glorious High Line Park!
Today, this oasis provides visitors with stunning city views from a uniquely different perspective. Stroll this enchanting garden wonderland amid vibrant perennials, shrubs, trees and grasses while passing through the park’s themed sections of woodlands, thickets, prairies and meadows.
Throughout your adventure, your guide will share “secrets” of the High Line throughout your guided walk and will point out artworks, galleries, landmarks and extraordinary leading-edge architecture viewed along the route.
Just A Few Of The “Secrets” On This High Line Tour (Shhh…Don’t Tell Anyone):
- The street below today’s High Line Park was once referred to as Death Avenue!
- The nearby seminary has a geothermal heating system which goes deeper into the earth than the Empire State Building is tall!
- The doomed RMS Titanic ocean liner was supposed to dock at the Chelsea Piers but only her survivors were actually brought there!
- Some of the world’s most famous celebrities party in a nightclub that straddles the High Line!
- Our guides know many more secrets of this area and we can’t wait to share them with you!
What To Expect:
Your 2.5-2.75-hour tour which traverses the entire High Line, includes approximately 2 mi. (3.2 km) of walking, at a leisurely pace. The tour begins with visit to the treasured Chelsea Market located in the heart of the fashionable Meatpacking District. This fabulous culinary and shopping marketplace was once the home of Nabisco, world’s largest bakery and creator of the Oreo Cookie. Your guide will share the story of the former bakery and other neighborhood buildings, as well.
You’ll learn how the Meatpacking District, once a flurry of industry, ultimately fell into ruin becoming a dilapidated, drug-ridden, urban wasteland. Throughout your secrets of the High Line experience, your guide will share the area’s remarkable history and transformation from a once seedy area to a chic, glamorous hotspot! You’ll also view our latest innovation in park design; the extremely popular Little Island park. The tour concludes at Hudson Yards; a “city” within our City, offering upscale dining, eateries, activities, and many fine retail shops! Upon our arrival to Hudson Yards, you’ll feast your eyes on a unique and extremely popular piece of interactive artwork, called the Vessel.
Prepare to be “WOWED” throughout your entire “Secrets of the High Line” tour. We’re confident that you will fall in love with the High Line and all that embraces it, and that you will LOVE this very unique tour!
Tour Location & Additional Information:
Tours begin outside of the Chelsea Market, at W 15 St & 9 Av. The exact location will be provided upon booking. Tours are offered on both weekdays and weekends with a variety of start times to choose from. To view available dates/times for this tour on our events calendar, please click the BOOK NOW button.
High Line Park